Sodium Metabisulphite


Tax includedShipping calculated at checkout

Only 2 left!

Sodium Metabisulphite

Morgan’s 500g

Typically used to stop fermentation, killing off any wild yeast & bacteria on the surfaces of fruit.

Sodium metabisulfite or sodium pyrosulfite is an inorganic compound of chemical formula Na₂S₂O₅. The substance is sometimes referred to as disodium metabisulfite. It is used as a disinfectant, antioxidant, and preservative agent. When dissolved in water it forms sodium bisulfite

Can also be used in removing chlorine or chloramine from water sources which is particularly useful to beer makers. Chlorine in water reacts with compounds in malted barley and can create unpleasant off flavours. Dissolving in strike water is an effective way to reduce the chlorine to negligible levels.

Campden tablets typically contain 0.44 g each of sodium metabisulfite (plus filler) and 8 of these are equivalent to one half level teaspoon (2.5 mL) of sodium metabisulfite.